Alcohol and Drug Prevention Resources
Alcohol and drug addictions are serious and widespread problems. According to the National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA), about a quarter of all Americans over the age of twelve have binged when drinking, with seven percent stating that they regularly drink heavily. Five million Americans have abused cocaine, while sixteen million have tried prescription drugs for nonmedical and recreational purposes.
The following list is a complete directory of links and educational resources that readers can use to access information on alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs. This includes broad overviews and definitions of alcohol and drugs, information on teenage alcohol and drug abuse and links to facilities and resources centers that provide support, advocacy and treatment to individuals and families dealing with addiction problems.
Drug Definitions and Background Information
- Addiction Resource Council: The Addiction Resource Council, a resource center that provides education, intervention, assessment and referral services for those addicted to alcohol and drugs, elaborates on definitions of substance abuse and addiction.
- MD Guidelines: MD Guidelines provides extensive descriptions of terms related to alcohol, drug detox and rehabilitation programs.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA): NIDA provides broad overviews of both alcohol and illicit drugs. Its website includes brief descriptions, the causal effects of each type of substance, recent statistics and links to helpful resources.
- Treatment-Now.com: Treatment-Now.com provides definitions and explanations related to drug and alcohol abuse and addictions, as well as definitions for the street names of many drugs.
- Treatment Solutions: Treatment Solutions, an organization that provides drug and alcohol addicts a range of treatment programs, includes definitions of common terms used during detoxification and treatment processes.
- World Health Organization: The World Health Organization provides facts and figures, terminology and classification, and a list of publications and research tools on alcohol and drugs.
Teenage Drug Use
- About.com’s Parenting of Adolescents: About.com’s helpful website provides information and links for parents whose teenagers are dealing with violence and drug abuse. In addition to these resources, the site includes a chat and forum community for concerned parents.
- Adolescent Substance Abuse Knowledge Base: Adolescent Substance Abuse Knowledge Base provides current statistics on teenagers’ use of illicit drugs, alcohol, and tobacco products, as well as the contact number to the National Resource Center, which helps locate a treatment center for teens with addiction problems.
- American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry: The American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, which provides facts sheets, current research and practical guidelines on teenage drug abuse to parents, includes an extended section on teen alcohol and drugs usage. It also includes facts for families, definitions of keywords, and links to other useful resources.
- Cigna: Cigna, a global health service company, provides a helpful topic overview of teen alcohol and drug abuse, including related definitions, statistics and symptoms of addiction.
- The Mendez Foundation: The Mendez Foundation is a substance abuse and violence prevention organization that focuses on alcohol, tobacco and drug prevention education among children and teenagers.
- TeensHealth: TeensHealth is an accessible website for young adolescents and provides information on tobacco, alcohol and drugs frequently abused by teenagers.
- Alcohol Treatment and Drug Detox Info: Alcohol Treatment and Drug Detox Info provides referrals to drug treatment centers and contains information on alcohol treatment and drug detoxification.
- Betty Ford Center: Located in Rancho Mirage, California, the Betty Ford Center offers treatment for families who are in the introductory stages of recovery from alcoholism and drug dependency.
- Drug Rehabilitation for Teens: Drug Rehabilitation for Teens provides resources and articles on drug rehabilitation treatment for teenagers and parents of adolescents.
- National Association of State Alcohol and Drug Abuse Directors: The National Association of State Alcohol and Drug Abuse Directors supports the development of effective alcohol and other drug abuse prevention and treatment programs throughout the country.
- The Right Step: Located throughout Texas and Louisiana, the Right Step is a drug and alcoholism treatment program for adults and teens. It includes both inpatient and outpatient programs for alcoholism and addiction.
- Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator: Substance Abuse Health and Services Administration provides a locator tool for substance abuse treatment centers throughout the country.
Anti-Drug Advocacy Organizations
- Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America: The Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America includes over 5,000 anti-drug coalitions, each working to make their community a safe haven from drugs.
- D.A.R.E. America: One of the most well-known and established drug awareness and educational programs in the country, D.A.R.E. provides anti-drug programs run by local police departments.
- Do It Now Foundation: Do It Now Foundation is a non-profit publisher of alcohol, substance abuse, and health information. The site’s target audiences include middle school, high school and college students.
- Drug Free America Foundation: Drug Free America Foundation develops and promotes global anti-drug legalization strategies, drug policy and prevention tools for both parents and kids.
Statistics and Other Relevant Data
- Alcohol and Drug Articles: Alcohol and Drug Articles provides a variety of articles about teenage alcohol and drug abuse, and includes a section on how to give up addictions and truly stay sober.
- Drug Abuse Statistics: The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration provides statistics and trends on illegal drug use, as well as statistics on the non-medical use of prescription drugs and alcohol.
- National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (NCADD): The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence is a volunteer health nonprofit providing educational resources and information on alcoholism.