The Web’s Best Health Resources
In medicine, there are currently more than 120 specialties. With such highly specific fields, finding information on the best clinics and practices can be confusing, even overwhelming. However, there are a number of resources available online which are specifically designed to be patient friendly. Many of these websites and online guides are written and supported by established foundations, hospitals, nonprofit organizations and medical associations specializing in medical subfields.
- Clinical Pediatrics: This website includes articles and reviews on best pediatric practices, current clinical research, behavioral and educational problems, as well as community-based health issues.
- Current Opinion in Pediatrics: Current Opinion in Pediatrics includes reviews, expert commentaries and accessible papers published on topics relevant to pediatrics.
- Evidence-Based Pediatrics: Provided by the University of Michigan’s Department of Pediatrics, this website features guidelines and critical topics in pediatrics today, as well as educational material.
- Pediatrics in Review: Pediatrics in Review is published by the American Academy of Pediatrics and includes drug updates and diagnostic test cases.
- Virtual Pediatric Patients: This is a collection of case studies of common clinical issues in general pediatrics.
- Ask The Doctor, The Dermatology Forum: Ask the Doctor is an online medical forum that deals with a range of skin and dermatology conditions.
- Dermatologic Disease Database: This database provides information on dermatological diseases.
- Internet Dermatology Society-IDS: The Internet Dermatology Society provides information on skin cancer risks, an electronic textbook and a dermatological “knowledge builder.”
Mayo Clinic Department of Dermatology: The Mayo Clinic provides information for patients on diseases, treatments and services related to dermatology.
- Crossroads Cancer Consulting: Crossroads Cancer Consulting offers patients and families suggestions on the best oncology programs for their given situations. The website also includes current trends and links to oncology-related sites.
- Medscape Oncology: A comprehensive clinical information site, Medscape Oncology includes free full-text articles covering oncology related issues.
- Oncology Education: This is a Canadian-based website that includes oncology updates and links to clinical resources.
- Topix, Oncology News: This website includes cancer and related headlines from a diverse range of websites on the Internet.
- Association of Pediatric Oncology Social Workers: The Association of Pediatric Oncology Social Workers is dedicated to enhancing the emotional and physical health of children with cancer.
- Children’s Oncology Group: This is an association of institutes dedicated to research in pediatric oncology.
- Mayo Clinic’s Division of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology: The Mayo Clinic provides an overview of the clinic, as well as patient stories and information on various cancers and clinic services.
Allergy and Immunology
- Allergy & Asthma Center of Massachusetts: This medical center provides patients with information on the diagnoses and treatments of allergies, asthma and clinical immunology. The website also includes patient education materials.
- American Academy of Asthma, Allergy, and Immunology: The American Academy of Asthma provides patients with information on a range of services and treatments dealing with allergies and asthma.
- American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology: An established clinical association, the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology provides patients with information in current research, advocacy and public education.
- Association of University Professors of Neurology: This association provides the public with the most current information on research and patient care.
- Brain: Brain is one of the oldest and most respected neurological journals in the U.S. It leads the field in accessible studies in neurological science and practical clinical articles. It provides readers with free access to all editorials and article abstracts.
- Pediatric Neurology and Metabolic Diseases: The Pediatric Neurology and Metabolic Diseases provides information and educational resources in pediatric neurology and metabolic diseases.
- American Society of Preventive Oncology: The American Society of Preventative Oncology is dedicated to cancer prevention and control research.
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force: Developed by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, the U.S. Preventative Services Task Force provides a systematic review of evidence of effectiveness and recommendations for clinical preventive services.
- Treatment Guide: For athletes, “runner’s knee” can be a chronic and debilitating injury. This website provides information on learning how to recognize, prevent and treat “runner’s knee,” as well as other related injuries.
- PathWeb: Developed by the Pathology Department of the University of Connecticut Health Center, PathWeb is a virtual pathology museum.
- What is Pathology?: A consumer guide, “What is Pathology” includes information on how to understand a pathology report and the process undertaken to reach a diagnosis.
- Urbana Atlas of Pathology: Urbana Atlas provides images that cover all body systems and disease processes commonly reviewed in pathology.
- Dentistry.com: Dentistry.com is an online dental resource site that provides information on relevant dental products and services to consumers.
- Dentistry 2000: Dentistry 2000 offers information about dentistry, including finding a reliable dentist and affordable dental care.
- Implant Dentistry Communications: This website includes patient education materials that cover implant dentistry and clinical case reports.
- Alternative Medicine Foundation: A non-profit organization based in Bethesda, Maryland, Alternative Medicine Foundation provides objective information on alternative medicines, including herbal therapies and complementary medicines.
- Alternative Medicines and Research Institute: The Alternative Medicines and Research Institute offers information on international research associated with alternative medicines.
- Alternative-medicine-and-health.com: This health and alternative medicine resource guide includes sections on alternative treatments specific to different diseases, as well as some great nutritional advice.
- Holistic Medicine: Holistic Medicine provides documentation on holistic and alternative medicines, as well as nutrition.
Here are additional online resources for people who want to learn more about medical subfields and conditions.
- Encyclopedia of Death and Dying: This website covers the difficult subjects of death and dying. It includes biological, medical, social, psychological, religious and philosophical topics and viewpoints.
- HealthTalk: HealthTalk connects patients with significant health conditions to leading medical specialists and other patients.
- WebMD: WebMD is an excellent resource for patients who need accessible explanations of symptoms, medications and different treatment methods. It also provides a variety of chat forums and updates on the various treatments.